Monday, January 08, 2007

The Bristow House (c. 1926)

The Bristow House, a Mediterranean-influenced bungalow at 1901 Fairfax Avenue, was originally the home and office of a local doctor.
Built of orange-buff brick, the house has a hipped roof, broken by half-facade projections. These parapets reflect the irregular and informal roof forms of varying heights seen in Spanish Eclectic houses of the period. Red, Spanish tiles cover the roof.
The home is fronted by a generous terrace and sets of French doors under transoms.
Other notable details include six-over-six windows, a side-end exposed chimney set into a parapet, and large arch with stucco and mosaic in the front terrace wall.

Errett Home (c. 1895)

Don and Jane Errett's home at 1925 Dartmouth Avenue is listed in the South Bessemer Inventory as the G.H. Stevenson House. This beautiful Queen Ann house with distinguishing two-storey corner turret and conical cap is standout in the neighborhood.
It has a high, clipped pyramidal roof with front-facing gabled cutaway bay, and smaller porch entry gable; ell and wrapping porch supported by round columns; vinyl siding over original double teardrop boards on brick foundation; various decorative wood shingling in gable faces and on turret; windows 1-over-1 sash, and one bay window of a large single light with overlight. Large flat-profile interior chimneys, unusual for this style house, now stuccoed.
Commonly believed to have been built by G.H. Stevenson, superintendent of the Bessemer Water Works; but one source notes that he bought the property from E. E. Vining in 1904. In any case, like so many others, he lost his house in the Depression.
The Erretts are restoring the home.